March 30th, 2008
Ages ago I bought 5 balls of Sirdar Blur in a lovely kinda inky purple colour (they say Indigo), they were bought after seeing a pattern in a knitting mag for a lovely jumper. I’ve never got round to starting the jumper so I thought rather than the yarn just sitting there I’d try and make something, but what? Then I read on someones blog that on Ravelry you can type in a type of yarn and it will find all the patterns and projects related to it - genius! So I had a search and found a lovely looking scarf (Invisible Stripe Scarf), checked out the pattern thinking it would be difficult and y’know what it’s SO easy So I cast on for that this afternoon and it’s coming along nicely.
Our trip to Hobbycraft last week was very successful, I bought lots including cheap yarn to play about with, crochet hooks, a thing to put press-studs on to fabric (better than having to sew them on as this makes it stronger), Hama beads inc glow in the dark ones, some cool Sculpey that turns into an eraser when you bake it and some aida and embroidery thread. I set to work with the aida and thread straight away to create some cool geeky cross stitch of computer games characters, they turned out really well (I’ve only posted the pic of the Robot from Bubble Bobble tho).
February 10th, 2008
I seem to have been making things for the past few days and not just making them but actually finishing them which is an achievement for me. On Friday I made a hat which was going to be for myself as it looked so lovely in the magazine (and once I made it too) but it just doesn’t suit me, which is quite odd as most hats do! Oh well.. it was a nice quick and easy project to do (the hat not suiting me is the reason why the armchair is modelling it! hehe)
Today I made another cushion cover to match the one I made just after Christmas and also a cuff/bracelet thing. Oh and me and Chris also made a computer desk which took ages and involved quite a bit of cursing and sighing. After all this hard work I’ve been sitting down looking through websites that make labels (that i can sew onto handmade stuff), seem to have a found a really good one but am having great difficulty in trying to decide what colour scheme to have them made in!
September 23rd, 2007
I thought I’d post a photo of my progress on the 1st ever sock. I think it’s coming along ok, well good enough for a first try anyway
I’m still on the easy bit right now, I think I’m gonna struggle when it gets to the heel flap!!
September 11th, 2007
After the success of the baby hat I decided to make an adult one for Chris using the “Hot Head” pattern from Stitch ‘N Bitch: The Knitters Handbook.
I used Brown Sheep Lambs Pride Bulky in Brite Blue and Seafoam (I let him choose his own colours). The result, I think was pretty good The seam at the back isn’t the best ever (but not the worst) and it’s at the back anyway.. I impressed myself with how quickly and easily I knitted this up. I think Chris was impressed too!
My next project (which I’m 9 rows in to as we speak) is the Sock It To ‘Em Starter Kit (ordered from Get Knitted along with the Lambs Pride). It’s my first time using DPN’s and I found it VERY tricky and awkward at first but it is getting easier. I have started to think maybe socks/using DPN’s is a bit over ambitious for a 3rd project (and for me being the beginner that I am) but I’m going to give it go and luckily I do have the help of my Mum (an experienced knitter) to hand if I really get stuck!
July 29th, 2007
So as I promised, some blog action!
I finished knitting the rectangle to test on last night, and then this morning shoved the knitted rectangle into the washing machine in a pillowcase (as stated on a pattern I have for a felted bag). And then this evening I thought I might as well make it into something, so I sewn up the edges, added a button and little hook and it is now a case for whatever I want to put in it :p (it fits my camera in perfectly so may well be used for that!).
I’m going to have another go this week, but I think I’ll put some jeans in the wash with it too as I heard this aggravates it more, making it more felted.
I think this turned out ok, but it’s not as felted as I’d have liked… but that just means I’ll have to do some more experimenting!